Performance

Dave Dave_member at pathlink.com
Tue Apr 25 10:27:12 PDT 2006

Jari-Matti Mäkelä wrote:
> Dave wrote:
>> Daniel Keep wrote:
>>> There's a link on the front page for D to the computer language
>>> shootout: http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/  I'll let you draw your own
>>> conclusions :)
>>>
>>>     -- Daniel

>> For the record, D is 'under-represented' on the GP4 (as opposed to the
>> Debian) site because there are a few tests that inexplicably run slower
>> on that particular machine than anywhere else I've been able to test on.
>
> Have you already figured out, whether it's a hardware problem or not?

No, not for sure, but the only difference in CPU over a personal machine
of mine is a few MHz and 256 vs. 512 cache.

> There are many Gentoo-based live distros out there to test with. Maybe
> it's a hyperthread/smp-thingie? You know, this is kind of bad PR for
> Gentoo :P

Yea - I don't intend that, and the problem may well be on the D end of
things which is why I care, but I (completely understandably) am not
allowed on the machine to try and track the issue down. More troubling
is that one of the tests that should run fine doesn't run at all. IIRC,
it is not an HT chip (and is only a one processor machine).

- Dave