D: A language without focus

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Wed Apr 26 23:45:14 PDT 2006

gabe wrote:
> One last thing before I slip off to bed: I really want to rally around an open
> source license for this project, particularly one that strives for complete
> transparency.  Not only does this really promote a sense of sharing and
> community, but I feel that it also gives newcomers and old hackers some ideals
> to really identify with.  To that end I would suggest the GPL as the starting
> point -- possibly even liscenesed under some kind of dual GPL/LGPL liscense.
> This kind of transparency, I feel, really invites people to the table in an
> egalitarian and communal way.  (Not to mention the fact that putting it under
> the GPL opens up the floodworks for linking into other GPL code -- and there's
> tons of it.)

The license for Phobos is in one of the following forms:

1) public domain

2)
/*
  *  Copyright (C) 2006 by [your name]
  *  Written by [your name]
  *
  *  This software is provided 'as-is', without any express or implied
  *  warranty. In no event will the authors be held liable for any damages
  *  arising from the use of this software.
  *
  *  Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose,
  *  including commercial applications, and to alter it and redistribute it
  *  freely, subject to the following restrictions:
  *
  *  o  The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not
  *     claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software
  *     in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation
would be
  *     appreciated but is not required.
  *  o  Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not
  *     be misrepresented as being the original software.
  *  o  This notice may not be removed or altered from any source
  *     distribution.
  */

I think that covers it. It's open source, and far less restrictive than
the GPL.