D: A language without focus

pragma pragma_member at pathlink.com
Thu Apr 27 11:31:13 PDT 2006

In article <e2r088$2in4$1 at digitaldaemon.com>, John Demme says...

>gabe wrote:
>[... Lots of stuff cut]
>>
>> I look forward to hearing from you!
>> _________________
>> New to the land of D, but I like the look of the place.
>> -Gabe
>
>It sounds to me like a project needs to be started with the goal of
>producing a packaged D.  One file (with an installer) that includes:
>-DMD (or GDC)
>-build
>-Ares + Mango
>-A set of Ddoc macros to get some really nice documentation output
>-Really nice looking and complete documentation
>-Code examples, along with compilation instructions
>-Integration of this software, where ever applicable
>
>I might note that a lot of this stuff already exists, but it needs to be
>packaged together!

Exactly! Kind of a "D Programmer's Toolkit" or SDK.

If I may make some suggestions for inclusion:

- Installation features for both Windows and Linux/Unix users.  Perhaps even
provide an .exe or .msi for Windows folks and scripts for both userland and root
installations under *nix.

- Would obviously be lacking an IDE and windowing toolkit once those projects
mature.

Actually, if Walter just included build with his DMD distros, that would be a
huge step forward.  On a new system it's already the third thing I download
right after DMD and the DMC backend.

- EricAnderton at yahoo