Keeping list of Objects

Jeremy Jeremy_member at pathlink.com
Thu Apr 27 19:30:42 PDT 2006

I'm writing a game in D, and in a loop, I'm creating new objects and keeping
track of them by storing their pointers:

e.g. I have a linked list of pointers. In the loop, I do a "OBJECT newThing =
new OBJECT()", and then I add the pointer &newThing to the linked list. After
that function exits (and the scope exits), I try to access these OBJECTs by
referencing the pointers... but I get an error. I assume the garbage collector
is freeing that space?

Anyway, I want to do this because I want a linked list of different objects
(e.g. all the objects in my game, which might be different classes -- I can cast
these pointers later).

I'm realizing that this won't work (unless I make the newThing global, then the
data I allocated still exists later). Anyone have a better way of accomplishing
the same thing?