Where the schedule of D development?

Lynn Allan l_d_allan at adelphia.net
Fri Apr 28 03:09:50 PDT 2006

> Just... follow the Mono's road map...
http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_Project_Roadmap

Hmmmmm ... their Feb, 2006 webpage mentions .Net framework 1.1 being
the latest ... that isn't a confidence builder.

OS/2 tried (and failed) to keep up with with Win 3.1x compatibility
... while Win9x and WinNt "cleaned its clock."

Some observations:
* The battle for the desktop has been over since the DotCom bust. Look
at RedHat's long term stock chart. Windows is "out in front ... and
pulling
away" (on the desktop). I write this as a developer with a crushed
os/2 career still relatively fresh in my mind, so please don't
consider me a Redmond toady.

* A prediction: Steven J. will grow tired of computer outflows
draining iPod inflows. Who needs another Board of Directors mutiny?
Does portability matter?

* Very few people have made any money betting against Bill Gates. (The
W.B. being perhaps a notable exception, although that is probably a
long story <g>)

A Modest Proposal:
I speculate that one or more of the Very Bright People who participate
on this list (certainly not including me) would happily work for
Digital Mars for significantly less than their current hourly rate.

I further suspect there are Bright wannabe people on this list who
would work for Digital Mars for $1.00 per hour. With the right smokin'
material, I would even further speculate that "passing the hat" to pay
those people might be semi-viable.

D is certainly not a committee effort (A Good Thing), but my
impression is that it is mature enough that an obligarchy would be
appropriate rather than the current monarchy. I doubt even Nicolas
Wirth could invent his third language today, and get all the libraries
to be competitive in a reasonable time-frame ...

(much less the nearly all-important gui debugger. Who besides Bright
people can get productive with a complicated language without a world
class debugger? Certainly not this plodder ... who is less than the
Bright-est bulb in the box)

An uninformed opinion: Boost is "out in front"   Is it "pulling away?"
Is the window of opportunity half open or half closed?