Where the schedule of D development?

Lucas Goss lgoss007 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 06:07:25 PDT 2006

Lynn Allan wrote:
>> Just... follow the Mono's road map...
> http://www.mono-project.com/Mono_Project_Roadmap
>
> Hmmmmm ... their Feb, 2006 webpage mentions .Net framework 1.1 being
> the latest ... that isn't a confidence builder.

The .Net 1.1 framework was implemented in Mono 1.0 and released on June
30th, 2004. Their newest branch, Mono 1.2, is in the final stages of
release and has Generic types support and "execution system and core
class libraries (C# 2.0)." It also includes technology previews for XML
2.0, ASP.NET 2.0, ADO.NET 2.0, and more. The main thing it is behind on
is the GUI, but the System.Windows.Forms 1.1 is added in the 1.2
release. In MonoDevelop there is also a GUI designer which works very
well from what I've tested. I have to use .NET for work, and while I
don't really like most things MS does (lock out competition and more),
the .NET library is very nice to work with and mono is keeping up nicely.

That being said, the Mono roadmap was one of the clearest development
paths that I've seen, listing every function/class/documentation/etc.
(http://mono.ximian.com/class-status/mono-HEAD-vs-fx-2/index.html) that
needed to be implemented and listed the status of each. Not to mention
the site is very clean and the documentation is very easy to read (I
haven't found Java or D to be as nice). I'd say Mono has a fabulous
roadmap that is very inspiring. I could only hope that the D community
could come up with something half as good.

Lucas