C++ vs. D memory management performance (Was: Faster Virtual Method Dispatch)

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Apr 28 21:25:23 PDT 2006

Please allow me to ask a stupid question.  Why are there three benchmarks
for each version?  Are you testing on different computers or something?

>The most amazing thing here is the dramatic performance difference
>between these D runs and the previous ones.  I won't speculate on why,
>bu the exact same app appears to be running 3 times as fast as it did
>this morning.

That is very strange ... so it seems that these benchmarks, being
inconsistent, were inconclusive.  Sounds like we need more testing.  Anyway,
D came out on top that time so that is good news!

>Finally, as these tests were quite informal I don't suggest reading too
>much into them.

Agreed.  Benchmarking one small program doesn't really say much.

>However I think a reasonable conclusion would be that D
>is faster than C++ for typical user applications

I would agree, but not just based on a single benchmark.

-Craig

-Craig