C++ vs. D memory management performance (Was: Faster Virtual Method Dispatch)

Craig Black cblack at ara.com
Fri Apr 28 21:35:53 PDT 2006

> By the way, I do think that GC performance can be improved significantly
> over where it is now, so don't take my other reply as an admission that
> GC is slow.  Also, I suspect that by the time D hits 1.0, GC performance
> will be much improved over what it is now.

I hope that you are right.

>This can be achieved a
> number of different ways, but the most obvious would be for the GC to
> ignore memory blocks that don't contain pointers.

I didn't know such selective scanning was possible with GC.  Would this
optimization be easy to implement?  If such an optimization were
implemented, then I suppose it would be wise to keep heap allocation local
to small blocks of memory so that the GC would not have much to scan.

-Craig