[OT] Downtime

Jan Knepper jan at smartsoft.us
Tue Aug 1 14:14:52 PDT 2006

Stewart Gordon wrote:
> I see the digitalmars servers are up and running once again.  They were
> down for quite a while.
>
> Are www.digitalmars.com and news.digitalmars.com the same machine?

Yes they are.

> I'd
> guess so considering that they were down at the same time.  But why is
> there a failure mode by which www.digitalmars.com was delivering the
> content of www.digitaldaemon.com instead?

That's the first domain on the system and if anything happens the
content of that domain will show.

> Speaking of downtime, it would be good if we had something on Wiki4D or
> somewhere, similar in concept to
>
> http://openfacts.berlios.de/index-en.phtml?title=Wikipedia_Status
>
> This would give people somewhere to go when the servers are down.  It
> could even give people a clue of what's going on and how long it's
> likely to take to fix (as much as is known).

Actually... There are talks and plans about redundancy where the site(s)
would be run on several systems on different places in the US and next
in EU. It is in the works, but technology has to be in-place/available
and budgets have to be approved/allocated.

Thanks!
Jan

--
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla...
www.mozilla.org