64 bit compilers

Jan Knepper jan at smartsoft.us
Sat Aug 12 11:25:07 PDT 2006

Justin C Calvarese wrote:
> Jan Knepper wrote:
>> Walter Bright wrote:

>>> Not much has been happening in that direction.
>>
>> There are more and more AMD Athlon's, Opteron's and Turions being
>> sold. M$ VS 8 (2005) does include a 64 bits compiler. Would be nice to
>> compile the same code with DM C++ ;-)
>>
>> Not pushing, but I do expect the 64 bits computer world to be here
>> faster than we expect.
>>
>> Unfortunately the move to 64 bits is what killed the WWW newsgroup
>> stuff. One of the few 32 bits things that up to now does not run on 64
>> bits architecture.
>
> I know that the newsguy software doesn't run on the 64-bit server, but
> do you mean that you can't find any web interface software that runs on
> a 64-bit architecture?

I have searched and have found:

http://www.newsreaders.com/web/software.html

pnews http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/ which does not load the
digitalmars.D newsgroup as it seems to have more messages than pnews
understands and requires a while truck load of additional stuff to be
able to display messages threaded.

w3news http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/kp229/w3news/ which crashes

Apache::NNTPGateway
http://search.cpan.org/doc/BOUBAKER/Apache-NNTPGateway-0.8/NNTPGateway.pm
which kinda works, but takes forever to list all articles in a newsgroups

I have not had the time to try anything else.
Open Source is nice, but there is definitely a LOT of junk out there.

Jan

--
ManiaC++
Jan Knepper

But as for me and my household, we shall use Mozilla...
www.mozilla.org