64 bit compilers

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 11:59:52 PDT 2006

Jan Knepper wrote:
> Justin C Calvarese wrote:
>> I know that the newsguy software doesn't run on the 64-bit server, but
>> do you mean that you can't find any web interface software that runs
>> on a 64-bit architecture?
>>

> I have searched and have found:
>
> http://www.newsreaders.com/web/software.html
>
> pnews http://www.digitalmars.com/pnews/ which does not load the
> digitalmars.D newsgroup as it seems to have more messages than pnews
> understands and requires a while truck load of additional stuff to be
> able to display messages threaded.
>
> w3news http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/kp229/w3news/ which crashes
>
> Apache::NNTPGateway
> http://search.cpan.org/doc/BOUBAKER/Apache-NNTPGateway-0.8/NNTPGateway.pm
> which kinda works, but takes forever to list all articles in a newsgroups
>
> I have not had the time to try anything else.
> Open Source is nice, but there is definitely a LOT of junk out there.
>
> Jan

Maybe I'm just being an unrepentant Python fanboy here, but it would be
fairly trivial to hack something together with Python. The standard
library even has an NNTP client:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-nntplib.html

In fact, I'm willing to bet that someone, somewhere has written a
web-based newsreader with Python, though I can't say I've ever looked.

--
Kirk McDonald
Pyd: Wrapping Python with D