[Off Topic] Any "web applicaiton developers" out there?

Unknown W. Brackets unknown at simplemachines.org
Sat Aug 12 22:02:31 PDT 2006

Hello.

I do enjoy the development.  Because it's different, and if you do it
right it can really work well.  There's a lot to it, but there are also
fewer barriers to entry.... you can start small, and as you learn more,
do amazing things.

It can be challenging at times.  One thing many people (unfortunately)
don't look toward is the huge amount of concurrent users websites can
get.  I work on many entertainment industry related sites, so I see
these a lot - and you definitely still have to have a head for optimization.

Also; you still get the same old challenges.  For example, one client
wanted pdfs generated from the website, based on a design (so it could
be printed by the suppliers and shipped.)  This was very interesting,
and somewhat challenging.

The above said, sometimes it isn't as challenging as I'd like.  In those
times, you have to challenge yourself - to do it better.  The reality
is, you can almost always do it better (for example, most dynamic pages
don't send caching headers and cache well, even if they perfectly well
could.)

I spend a lot of my time doing all of those.  XHTML, CSS, and JavaScript
can take some time, but is really not what I spend most of my time
doing.  However, when I have to deal with bugs in browsers, sometimes it
can take quite a bit of time (this can also be challenging, by the way.)

Most of my time is probably spent programming in PHP, or in another web
language.  However, when I say that, I think of profiling database
queries and etc. more on that side.

Directly messing with the database I don't do a lot, though I had to
spend time when I was learning to get a good feel for how to use joins,
indexes, and the like properly.

After that, it's more a matter of making sure your query is picking up
the right things (which is much more tightly bound to the PHP/etc.
programming imho.)

I do see a strong future in web development, although I think in ways
it's not moving like I'd like.  The company I work for does many sites
that are Flash and PHP driven (again, the entertainment industry, they
like Flash), and it definitely doesn't look to be going away.

Things are also changing, and people are getting more interest in
different things.  I remember, I actually messed with XMLHttpRequest
before it became popular ("Web 2.0", I hate that term)... I thought it
wasn't terribly useful.  Haha, seems I wasn't in the majority.

There are other things on the horizon too.  Big changes in JavaScript,
DOM, HTML, that will make things easier and cleaner.  With that comes
the backwards compatibility... things will be interesting for a while
longer at least ;).

I do a lot of systems type stuff as well.  For example, I help manage
our servers from time to time (because I have some experience doing
that.)  I've written utilities for this in D.

Further, sometimes you don't want/need a language like C# or PHP, but
one that is fast for processing.  Case in point: I did a little mixer
program, where you picked two mp3s and dynamically mixed them (using a
slider bar) together.  I wrote a simple D program that mixed the two
together and gave the user something to download.

Had I done this in PHP, C#, or similar, it would not have been fast
enough for the impatient users that proliferate the web.

It's also possible that one might right a FastCGI program in D, which
would likely be a good mix.  It might also be possible to write an
Apache module, although this seems like it would be more trouble indeed.

Lastly, as to your comment about "hard core programmer ... challenging
problems", that really depends on you, not on what you do.  I work with
PHP and MySQL primarily, which really have a bad name in that regard.

But, if you know what you're doing, you know what you're doing.  It
means something if you can write a dynamic website that sends reasonable
caching headers and performs well, because when the site gets
1,000/5,000/10,000 (whatever milestone you have for it) users online at
once the first time, and the server's load average didn't even notice,
you'll be proud.

People still consider me to be a programmer challenging difficult
problems, at least at the office.  Or so I'd like to think.  I've had
the project managers joke they were fighting for me, and often have
other programmers in the office coming to me for advice on things
they're working on.

This is just how an office is; and the other programmers in my office
are taking on challenging things as well.  But if you're worried about
losing respect or face, you won't really.  You'll only look like less a
programmer to those people who don't know the difference between good
PHP and bad... and for those, who cares anyway?

Or, if you mean, losing the edge within yourself (not respect or face),
I doubt that's an issue.  Just keep in mind, if you slog off, you slog
off.  It's easy to lose your edge when you switch to something new,
especially something that has an easy learning curve.  This is true with
anything, I think.

My opinion.  Hope it helps, at least somewhat.  I should note, last I
was told, systems programming pays more.... but I think web programming
is more interesting (and, of course, how much it pays depends on you,
again.)

-[Unknown]