[OT] Auto code reformating / one coding style enforcment.

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Aug 14 09:14:04 PDT 2006

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:ebp2j7$1o5c$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>
>> It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god intended
>> them to be.
>
> Or, you could just set them to 4 characters, and always use tabs.  Then
> everyone would be able to control the indentation as much as they want.
> That's the whole point of using hard tabs in a modern editor.

Hard tabs work okay for leading indentation, but for inner
indentation--long function calls, if statements, variable lists,
etc--they can render code unreadable if viewed with a different tab
width.  Even worse is if in a group project, some people use hard tabs
and others spaces, and those using hard tabs have different tab widths.
  I've worked on projects like this (including the one I'm on now) and
the tabs are a disaster.  Given the relative ease with which modern
editors can jump from word to word and eat whitespace, I simply don't
understand the attachment to hard tabs.

Sean