[OT] Auto code reformating / one coding style enforcment.

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeirosATgmail at SPAM.com
Mon Aug 14 15:55:12 PDT 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:ebp2j7$1o5c$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>> It works just fine when you set tabs to be 8 characters, as god
>>> intended them to be.
>>
>> Or, you could just set them to 4 characters, and always use tabs.
>> Then everyone would be able to control the indentation as much as they
>> want. That's the whole point of using hard tabs in a modern editor.
>
> Hard tabs work okay for leading indentation, but for inner
> indentation--long function calls, if statements, variable lists,
> etc--they can render code unreadable if viewed with a different tab
> width.  Even worse is if in a group project, some people use hard tabs
> and others spaces, and those using hard tabs have different tab widths.
>  I've worked on projects like this (including the one I'm on now) and
> the tabs are a disaster.  Given the relative ease with which modern
> editors can jump from word to word and eat whitespace, I simply don't
> understand the attachment to hard tabs.
>

> Sean

I'm not too keen on using tabs in inner indentation, for reasons like
that. But for start-of-line indentation, hards tabs is the way to go.
(with a width choice of 4 characters)

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student