[OT] Auto code reformating / one coding style enforcment.

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Mon Aug 14 18:27:19 PDT 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Regan Heath wrote:
>>
>> I suspect if you print this code, and the editor sends actual hard
>> tabs to the printer they'll probably be 8 spaces wide.. but:
>> 1. who prints code?!?
>
> I do. I also put code in html <pre>...</pre>, where tabs are 8. I put
> code in emails, where tabs are 8. I print code on the console, where
> tabs are 8. I send code to other operating systems, where tabs are 8.

Only by default.  The first thing I do when configuring an editor is
change the tab width to 4.  8 chars is simply too wide IMO, even for
paragraph indentation.

>> 2. the editor _should_ instead send your specified # of spaces instead
>> of hard tabs.
>>
>> Problem #2 solved.
>
> Send it to where? The disk file? Then there aren't tabs in it anymore.

Right.  But is that a problem?  I'll admit it's a tiny time-saver to be
able to move through tab-filled regions with the cursor, but it's just
as easy (and even faster) to jump between words with control keys.

But all this is really a matter of opinion... which I guess is the
point?  I've always favored using spaces because it preserves
readability regardless of one's opinion of what the correct tab width is.

Sean