Shouldn't bool be initialized to 0xFF ?

Lionello Lunesu lio at lunesu.remove.com
Tue Aug 15 06:49:01 PDT 2006

I've been following those "why's char init'ed to -1?" / "why's float
init'ed to NaN?" thread, and I'd have to agree with Walter: a crazy
initialization sure makes it obvious where the problem lies.

So: why isn't "bool" initialized to 0xFF too? In dmd v0.164, bool.init
is 0, which is a valid value for bool. For byte/int/long I get it, since
there is no invalid value for byte/int/long. But for bool there is, so
the same reasoning as char/float applies.

We could even name 0xFF "Not A Bool" ;)

L.