Newbie comments about D

Kristian kjkilpi at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:06:15 PDT 2006

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:06:55 +0300, kris <foo at bar.com> wrote:

> Chad J wrote:
> [snip]
>> Also I'd suggest using 'scope' instead of 'local', as suggested before.
>> Scope is already a reserved keyword (Kristian look it up in the spec
>> under "Statements", it's quite handy).  It also just so happens that
>> the meaning of scope in this context and it's current context is very
>> similar.  So no need to rename identifiers that already use the word
>> (because there are none) AND it makes sense, yay.
>
> Aye. This seems like a no-brainer? Not sure what technical concerns
> there might be that are currently stopping this from happening, but it
> would surely be appropriate to change the usage/keyword before 1.0?

Thanks Chad, the scope statement is one very nice feature indeed! :)

I think I could also live with the "scope" word (even if there is a bit
nicer ring in "local" ;) ).

As I mentioned my other post, changes from "auto" to "local"/"scope" could
be done automatically (well, I think at least almost all of them anyway),
if you need to update old code.