Lazy eval

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 20:26:36 PDT 2006

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 19:41:24 -0700, Walter Bright
<newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Derek Parnell wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:33:00 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> The problem with requiring the { } around the argument is that
>>> programmers just don't like it. I don't think I can make them like it.
>>  Huh? You asked them all? You didn't ask me and I like it.
>
> Did you use it before 0.165? Did anyone? Everyone I'd show the { }
> syntax to reacted with zzzzzz. I show them the one without, and all of a
> sudden they are excited about it and can think of all kinds of uses.

Zzzz?  I really don't think that was the response.  I believe most people
here were quite excited about the { } form when it came out (especially
after experimenting with it for a time).  They just may not have expressed
it in your hearing (ie. in this newsgroup where you are so accustomed to
feedback).  Drop in the #D IRC channel on freenode sometime.  You might
see more discussion about the language then you imagine.  I've run across
many people that were overjoyed with {} feature, including long time D
users here.

Silence doesn't mean that there's no support for a feature.  In the
context of D, silence really is a good sign.  As you know, most people
here are quite outspoken about any little feature added that might not be
consistant with the D language. :)

-JJR