On using auto in code examples

Sean Kelly sean at f4.ca
Thu Aug 24 08:05:07 PDT 2006

Georg Wrede wrote:

> I think all examples should use proper types, and then maybe some
> separate page could explain that here and there you _could_ use auto.
> And explain also the perils and gotchas of doing so -- which is
> impossible if auto is spread all over the examples.
>
> Also, having auto all over the place /does/ give the new reader a robust
> impression that using auto is the Canonical Way of writing D code.
>
> Another deceptive thing is the foreach syntax. Even for one who has been
> here from the start, and who has participated thoroughly in the debate
> about that particular syntax, seeing the examples makes one stop for a
> moment and wonder where is this [loop variable] introduced, and what
> might its type be.

Agreed on both counts.  I've even been bitten by the foreach issue once
or twice, when I wanted to preserve the index as a position count.

> With this new angle to the docs, I'm getting the impression that Ddoc is
> good for project code documentation _only_, and not for creating
> reference litterature. Seems it encourages the source code writers to
> skip "the too obvious", and at the same time writing fluent and
> sufficient doc-comments may seem tedious. In other words, it seems quite
> demanding to write such Ddoc documentation that one doesn't need to
> browse the actual source code in another window.

It is, but the presence of any in-code documentation feature is a win
IMO.  If I had to document API code in a purely external manner I'd
never do it.

> (Of course Ddoc is better than nothing, and certainly better than what
> other languages have, but we should not lull ourselves into believing
> its mere existence and casual use is a panacea for documentation
> shortcomings.)

Agreed.

Sean