D and FreeBSD

Jona Joachim jaj13 at web.de
Wed Aug 30 04:12:04 PDT 2006

Hi!
I'm very new to D and I appreciate it very much.
It's what C++ should have been in the first place IMHO.

I'm a FreeBSD user so I'd like to see the D programming language evolve on
this OS, too.
When I saw that wxD 0.07 was released I decided to give it a try and
ported it to FreeBSD. It wasn't really difficult.
I built it using GDC exclusively as DMD is not available in the FreeBSD
ports.
Do you think there are any concerns about building the sources with GDC
instead of DMD? All test programs seamed to work fine. The only warning I
got during the build process was:

gdc: unrecognized option `-version=__WXGTK__'

Furthermore I'd like to know if the DMD license allows me to write a
FreeBSD port of DMD which installs the Linux binary distribution and runs
it under the FreeBSD Linux compatibility layer. The port would fetch the
distfiles automatically from the Digital Mars FTP server and install them
locally.
Is this in accordance with:
"The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license,
and may not be redistributed. If you wish to obtain a redistribution license,
please contact Digital Mars."

If not, is it ok if the user fetches the distfiles manually and the port
installs the binaries?

Do you think Digital Mars would provide FreeBSD binaries if there is
enough interest from the FreeBSD users?

Best regards,
Jona