D and FreeBSD

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Aug 31 07:28:35 PDT 2006

Jona Joachim wrote:

>>Need to get around to setting up that FreeBSD environment some day.
>
> That can be dangerous, perhaps you will like it so much that you will
> stick with it ;)

Nah - thanks to the wonders of virtualization, I can have it all ! :-)

>>That is why I introduced the WX_CONFIG parameter, so that any platforms
>>that deviate from the standard wxWidgets name ("wx-config") can set it.
>
> Perhaps you should check if WX_CONFIG is set and only set it if it is not
> already set because the way it is now you overwrite the WX_CONFIG
> variable. Perhaps you could do the same for the MAKE variable.

I'll try to come up with something clever, but it'll require /bin/sh

For some reason FreeBSD comes with the drain-bamaged csh by default,
and that won't do. It doesn't have to be bash, but something usable...

The tarball from http://dgcc.sourceforge.net is OK, so it's a Port bug.

> Strangely I have to rename the GNUmakefiles to Makefile because gmake
> doesn't find them otherwise when run from the port. Perhaps it is called
> with -f Makefile, I don't know.

Probably because it is calling "make" and not "gmake" ? (MAKE=gmake)

They are called GNUmakefile so that Digital Mars Make will miss them.

> Furthermore
> $(INSTALL) -p *.d $(libdir)/d/wx/
> doesn't work:

It requires GNU Install, so you need "coreutils" and a INSTALL=ginstall
(I must confess that I didn't test installing it, just building Samples)

Should probably have written explicity that it requires the GNU tools,
even if we do support the Digital Mars tools as well out of kindness.

--anders