D and FreeBSD

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Aug 31 15:49:34 PDT 2006

Jona Joachim wrote:

>>Thanks for the files. The patches and the workarounds should not
>>be needed with wxD 0.08 (wonder about the DESTDIR changes though,
>>those shouldn't really be necessary, will have to investigate it)
>
> There was a big discussion recently about the implementation of DESTDIR on
> the FreeBSD ports mailing list. The current implementation is problematic
> in some situations [1] and it's not trivial to implement it right.
> Contributors were told to wait a bit until they make their ports DESTDIR
> aware [2].

Strange that FreeBSD haven't got their act together about DESTDIR/prefix
but wxD uses the GNU packaging standard and will install to $(DESTDIR).

http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/DESTDIR.html

It also happens to work out of the box with RPM, which is what I use...
(well, "will use eventually" as you saw with the directory typo :-) )

> Do you think wxD should use the unicode version per default or do you
> think the user should choose if he wants to use unicode or not?

That's up to the wxWidgets library, but wxD should work with both...

As I understand wx, "ANSI" means UTF-8 but "Unicode" means UTF-16/32
(default is currently "ANSI" for Win/Mac, but "Unicode" for Linux ?)

--anders