Suggestion: Walter Bright, why not to implement multiple inheritance in D?

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:12:25 PST 2006

Arlen Albert Keshabyan wrote:
> Recently, I've started the subject about multiple inheritance in D. I've got
> the answers. But those solutions are not enough suitable for my purposes. Then
> I thought, why not to implement the feature which is on demand by programmers
> in D? Multiple inheritance is needed indeed just only by seeing the attempts
> of programmers to emulate it in D. It means they need it. Multiple inheritance
> is really not that bad thing which is supposed to be got rid of. Just a linear
> multiple inheritance with possibility to get to the every level of its
> hierarchy is enough, I think. Moreover, I'll help to port many useful C++ code
> into D much easier than now.

This has been discussed to death in the past.

Feel free to read up on the past arguments. Here's a couple threads to
get you started (I'm sure more threads are out there)...

16 Aug 2001: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/43.html
18 Mar 2004: http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/25807.html

I think the bottom line is the multiple inheritance would added too much
complexity for too little benefit. If the program has been designed in
C++, it might need some re-design to bring it into D.

--
jcc7