help design a query interface for DStress' "bad apple" database

Thomas Kuehne thomas-dloop at kuehne.cn
Sun Dec 3 00:11:55 PST 2006

Georg Wrede schrieb am 2006-12-02:
> Thomas Kuehne wrote:
>>
>> DStress now stores unexpected testcase results along with compiler
>> messages and the offending source code in a MySQL database. What would
>> be the best query interface(s)?
>
> Is that like "what technology to use" or "how should the web page look
> like, i.e. what fields should there be for the user to fill"?
>
> ---
>
> More important would be to know _what_things_ users want to find there.
> In other words, find out the *use*cases*, and your answers will present
> themselves automatically.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do. One use case I'm aware of - and
am going to implement - is searching for all testcases that produce
a certain compiler message. This should help to keep the count of duplicate
bug reports with only marginally different code low.

> For example, it may well be that there are only two kinds of retrievals:
> the first kind is a person who'se seen an article about a specific test
> case, and he wants to download only that one. And the second kind being
> someone who wants to help fixind D bugs, and therefore he wants to
> download all current unexpected results for the specific OS/compiler
> combination he happens to own.
>
> IF THIS REALLY is the case, then we don't need the DB UI at all. Simply
> have the (is it 6 different?) OS/compiler bug sets as downloadable zips,
> on the downlioads page.

That is a good idea.

> As for the individual cases, they're all small, and the most convenient
> way to get them would be if you have a page where they are listed, and
> clicking a link brings the source code right on your screen, where you
> can look at it, and if it looks like what you want, then "save-as" on
> your own computer. (I have suggested this to you some 4-5 times during
> the past 5 years.)

The problem are misbehaving crawling bots repeatedly downloading some
parts of the site if the files have a common mime type like text/plain
instead of a uncommon on like text/x-dsrc and thereby sucking GBs.
I'm currently preparing to move to a hoster with more fine grained controls.
Let's wait and see if the bots can be kept below a certain limit, if
so I'll enable the "plain view" feature.

> Of course I might be all wrong, and we do need a user interface that
> lets the user choose "all odd-numbered test cases either for Mac with
> GDC or Linux with DMD, submitted third quarter 1995, during West Coast
> office hours, and being more than 1k in length".
>
> Even if you do create this DB interface, I think the most popular
> downloads will still be the all-for-one-arch and the single case
> browsing+save-as.

Thanks for your ideas.

Thomas