Suggestion: Remove implicit conversion from T[n] and T[] to T*

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Mon Dec 4 14:04:53 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Oskar Linde wrote:
>> I am very likely to have made some mistakes in this analysis, and
>> missed important cases, but in general, I think most of the changes
>> actually increase the code clarity.
>
> Likely true, but 150 changes just in Phobos are a lot of changes. Do you
> guys really want to do this?

Well to take the devil's advocate, the only reasons I can think to keep
this kind of implicit cast are:

- it's mildly familiar to C programmers, thanks to how C arrays are handled.
- It could help with porting C code into D.

And... that's it.  That's the strongest argument I can muster.  In my
mind, there's really no other reasons not to do this.

The argument that Oskar puts forward at the start of this thread is well
put and quite valid (IMO).  Don also brought up a good point that it'll
*reduce* errors when interfacing with C code (of all things).

Finally, I cannot recall another thread on this newsgroup that had such
an overwhelmingly one-sided vote from active posters.

I think we should really do this.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo