MIT Technology Review: An Interview With Bjarne Stroustrup

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Tue Dec 5 13:29:32 PST 2006

zz wrote:

> Conclusions:
> D is great, but DMD will have to do something about it's performance for
> some applications.

I tend to agree.  D's array allocation algorithm, as well as it's GC
behavior, are great for most cases.  But they can fall flat in certain
cases - of course that's true of any algorithm really. :)

While I'm no STL guru, I have to ask: which allocator were you using
with ptr_vector?

I know that with D, pre-allocating data for arrays can make a big
difference if you expect to perform a lot of concatenations - especially
with atomic elements like pointers or references.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo