MIT Technology Review: An Interview With Bjarne Stroustrup

Pragma ericanderton at yahoo.removeme.com
Tue Dec 5 14:36:56 PST 2006

zz wrote:
> Pragma wrote:
>> zz wrote:
>>

>> While I'm no STL guru, I have to ask: which allocator were you using
>> with ptr_vector?
>>
> For the first number we used VS2003 SMT CRT (Default allocator)
> With the other test we used nedmalloc as the allocator (just over load
> new and delete in C++ (it's a c library).
>
> http://www.nedprod.com/programs/portable/nedmalloc/

Wow.  Well that explains it then.

Sean, you should seriously check this thing out.  Maybe this could be
adapted to be used in Ares?

[Edit:] The freshmeat article I found for nedmalloc calls it an
"alternative malloc implementation for multiple threads without lock
contention based on dlmalloc 2.8.3."  Suddenly, the speed increase is
makes a lot more sense.

--
- EricAnderton at yahoo