Fixed, easy to remember URLs for posts

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:49:31 PST 2006

It would be nice if there were a simple url we could use for referring
to D newsgroup posts in a fixed way regardless whatever the web
interface du-jour happens to be.

Something as close as possible to the Xref tag in the headers of the
posts themselves would be nice.  The Xref looks like:
   digitalmars.com digitalmars.D.announce:6086
So the url could be like:
   http://www.digitalmars.com/ng/digitalmars.D.announce/6086

Then that would just bounce you to the current location of the web
interface, which currently is:

http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=6086

And then we wouldn't have to worry anymore about article urls being too
long, or about old links to the specific NG web interface dying.

I suspect one of you PHP/Apache wizards out there could whip this up in
less than the time it took me to write this post. ;-)

--bb