Fixed, easy to remember URLs for posts

Justin C Calvarese technocrat7 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 21:31:10 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> It would be nice if there were a simple url we could use for referring
> to D newsgroup posts in a fixed way regardless whatever the web
> interface du-jour happens to be.
>
> Something as close as possible to the Xref tag in the headers of the
> posts themselves would be nice.  The Xref looks like:
>   digitalmars.com digitalmars.D.announce:6086
> So the url could be like:
>   http://www.digitalmars.com/ng/digitalmars.D.announce/6086
>
> Then that would just bounce you to the current location of the web
> interface, which currently is:
>
> http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=6086
>

> And then we wouldn't have to worry anymore about article urls being too
> long, or about old links to the specific NG web interface dying.
>
> I suspect one of you PHP/Apache wizards out there could whip this up in
> less than the time it took me to write this post. ;-)
>
> --bb

I like the idea. I'm not sure if we're done testing the "new" web
interface yet, but it does seem to be a great improvement over the
previous ones.

Also, the really old web interface links (such as
http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?digitalmars.D) should be able
to yield more helpful webpages than:

Internal Server Error
unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, jan at digitaldaemon.com and
inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have
done that may have caused the error.