Fixed, easy to remember URLs for posts

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 12 10:53:00 PST 2006

Walter Bright wrote:
> Bill Baxter wrote:
>> It would be nice if there were a simple url we could use for referring
>> to D newsgroup posts in a fixed way regardless whatever the web
>> interface du-jour happens to be.

Good idea!  I'd been meaning to suggest it myself.

<snip>
> I use Ddoc macros in the documentation:
<snip>
> Which eases things considerably. The news archiver will also translate
> the URLs in the postings when creating the archive pages. That doesn't
> work for the web interface, though.

What do you mean by "work for the web interface" exactly?

The point of the suggestion is that it would enable permanent links to D
newsgroup posts from _anywhere_.  Old web pages, new web pages, emails,
newsgroup posts (whether read using a web interface, a real newsreader
or anything in between), user bookmarks, you name it.

Stewart.