Array operations -- not actually so difficult

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 04:46:13 PST 2006

Don Clugston wrote:
> Array operations are one of the very few 2.0 features that haven't made
> it into 1.0. My experiments into expression templates suggest that it
> might not be very complicated after all.

I've never properly got my head around this expression templates
business.  Maybe I just need to read up on it a bit more.

<snip>
> In fact, we could create a fantastic library implementation of array
> operations with a tiny bit of syntactic sugar:
> instead of generating an error message for array operations, look for an
> opXXX function, and treat it the same way the implicit array properties
> work.
<snip>

True.  Having array operations built in would create plenty of
optimisation potential, but having a library implementation with the
help of a bit of syntactic sugar at the language level would at least work.

How many of you have seen my proposal from a while back?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/16647.html

Stewart.