Walter's annoying habits

Kenny Bentley seriousmoose at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 16 08:16:45 PST 2006

I have been using D for over a year now (maybe 2), some in commercial projects and
some not in commercial projects. I think the release schedule that Walter
maintains is pretty impressive. Honestly I don't know how he stays so focused on
the language. I quickly tire out on things I'm working on if I work too much on it.

Sure I think every programmer has annoying habits. (in fact, one of my annoying
habits is that I insist on using a language -- D -- which makes it difficult for
us to hire more programmers.) I have other annoying habits too, like deleting
other programmers code because I didn't like how it looked, or saying the  project
will be done in 1 day and it takes me a week... oh well... no one is perfect.

Of all of the ideas you posted, I think that the only one that has validity is the
not integrating patches others have written. He does from time to time, but not
always, and I understand why too... I have idiot programmers that I work with, and
I LOATHE when they have a new patch for me to integrate, because they never get my
formatting correct, they leave retarded comments ("this is the x variable!!!") and
generally cruft up my code... The thing that pisses me off the most is when they
use isFriend when I'm using is_friend... or they even go so far as to write it in
spanish esAmigo. I don't integrate that crap no matter what they say... I rewrite
it, and when I rewrite it, I often find they implemented it quickly and didn't
think about the future of the feature and it usually has bugs... I don't know if
that's the case for walter, but I understand completely.

Walter is one man though, so he may start integrating more patches in the future
as the language grows. It's hard for me to lose control of something I wrote over
90% of, and I'm sure walter feels the same way -- so I'm sure it will be on his
own time he integrates the patches.

Just thought I'd throw my ideas out there. I really enjoy the language of D, and I
didn't really get to express my gratitude much other ways...

Thanks Walter, I've loved almost every bit of D so far, and it's definitely my
preferred language.

Kenny Bentley