Walter's annoying habits

Derek Parnell derek at nomail.afraid.org
Sun Dec 17 17:48:48 PST 2006

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 02:37:00 +0200, Georg Wrede wrote:

> Kyle Furlong wrote:
>> Stewart Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> It's time to make a list of Walter's habits that continually annoy us.
>>> Here are some of my peeves, to start it off:
>>
>> I think the idea behind this post is that since we have a one man
>> development organization, we could improve D as a whole by improving the
>> man. This is simply ridiculous. Think about what you are saying Stewart.
>> You're basically asking a stranger to change himself (presumably to
>> conform to your idea of better) because it would (again presumably) have
>> a good effect on the product he creates.
>
> First Derek, now Stewart.

I was not the first. I'm pretty sure there has been a number of people
before me who has decided to leave DigitalMars in peace for now. I suspect
this list would include Matthew Wilson and Arcane Jill at least.

> The next person who starts brewing peeves
> about Walter should remember this: we are here now, not only because of
> what Walter is in good, but also precisely because of what Walter is in bad.
>
> The best thing to do is to think about the above till you understand it.

That statement seems to imply that things (D related) can't get better so
we should just accept the status quo.

There is no argument that DigitalMars is run by a brilliant person and the
quality and quantity of its output is vastly superior to most everyone
else's. However, I think it can still be improved. I admit that history has
shown that I'm unable to assist in improving DigitalMars D, but that need
not stop other people from attempting it.

I also believe that DigitalMars could do with a few Public Relations
lessons as it sometimes appears to be aggravating (if not belligerent),
instead of appearing to be the truly benevolent dictator that we all need.

I still live in hope that the interaction between the D community and
DigitalMars will improve the D language, both by removing the current
mistakes in its definition and implementation, and by adding truly useful
features. I would have liked to think that I could be a part of this
activity, but I don't think I'm up to the task anymore.

> Such understanding will make peeves mysteriously shrink, and make you
> feel better and healthier. Not to mention, it'll make you stop beating
> your wife and the kid next door.

I assume that was an attempt at a joke, and you didn't actually *try* to
libel me by writing that offensive falsehood.

--
Derek
(skype: derek.j.parnell)