Walter's annoying habits

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 23:28:43 PST 2006

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:21:23 -0800, Derek Parnell
<derek at nomail.afraid.org> wrote:

>>> I assume that was an attempt at a joke, and you didn't actually *try*
>>> libel me by writing that offensive falsehood.
>>
>> First, it was addressed to the _next_ potential peever. Second, working
>> on it till one understands will improve one's own being. Third, the last
>> sentence was (admittedly a strongly formulated) reminder to check if
>> one's problems are not just related to D, since aggression on one venue
>> often has its roots elsewhere.
>
> And you expect that by publicly implying that I'm generally aggressive is
> helpful? I don't need that.

Guys? Peace?

Derek, you're most certainly not the only "other" one that's been annoyed
with Walter's habits.  Georg, you did bring up a sore spot in your first
post by mentioning Derek.  I found it a little confusing until you
clarified yourself in the next post -- especially the wife and kid part.
I know you both are respectable fellows. Can you please forgive and forget?

I think all this thread has shown is that, like it or not, we are all
susceptable to folly now and again.  So now not even Walter has to feel
singled out. :)

Yes, Walter's faults do play an important role in the D sega; yes, the bad
and good have brought D to where it is now. But, the long and short of it
is that Walter could not have succeeded without a community of people --
and silent experts, no less -- pounding on him over and over.  Without
that community, D is nothing.  As marvelously determined as Walter is, he
couldn't have done it alone and still cannot.  It's a symbiotic
relationship, no less.  Patting Walter on the back now and again is a nice
gesture and a worthy one, but please realize that his reward is built in.
If D becomes everywhere prevalent, which will be the more satisfying to
Walter: the "Thankyou Walter's" and "Your a smart chap's" or the mere
knowledge that he designed a massively successful language?

You see? The reward and motivation are built in.  Not to say he doesn't
deserve a "thanyou" often, but I think we can safely bet that the reward
is in the result.

The best we can hope for is that D will succeed despite these faults, that
the infatiguely pounding process continues with a modicum of grace, and
that D continues to blossom as result of that refining process.

-JJR