How to work with D?

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz dawid.ciezarkiewicz at asn.pl
Wed Dec 20 18:01:14 PST 2006

I'm linux user.  I wish to ask you how do you work with D conviniently. I
mean:

When working with C, C++ or Python, PHP everything is quite simple.
Installing libraries is simple - they are old and stable. My package
manager (ArchLinux) has almost everything for those
long-time-ago-estabilished languages. And for real custom third parties
there are always things like PHP's PEAR.

But working with D is much different. Even if I set up manually everything
and get my project compiled and working - if I'd like to give my work to
somebody he will lost much of his time to setup neccesary libraries again.
Changes in the language makes last stable release of XYZ library
uncompilable, while svn version of XYZ is not working because it's
temporary broken. And that person have to be quite skilled to do everything
that I've mentioned.

That is why I was looking forward for project like DSSS, but despite the
fact it's quite unusable/broken right now I don't think that such a single
project will make everything OK if not considered as a part of
language-pack.

Upcoming D 1.0 should stabilize language for a moment, but I think nothing
will realy change because of that. v1.0 is only name + point in time -
everything will stay the same as it is. Walter will be keeping improving
core language and we will be developing our little D projects . Little and
personal because wider audience will never use them - it still will be too
hard to get them compiled and working together.

For example: mango is a great thing. I wish to have logging support in
almost every project and mango.log is what I like. But adding such
dependency will mean that potential user will have +1 potential problem.
Adding any of existing GUI libraries means one more potential problem.
Adding database support - yet another potential problem. Of course I can
make a fork of them and include them in my project - but that means tons of
additional work with patching and staying up to date. And Phobos is sooo
tiny and messy that virtualy there is nothing inside it. No real big-blocks
that you just take and glue together to get working powerfull app. So you
need libraries for almost anything.

Summaring: D may be best language, but will it ever be best development
envivorment?

What are your thoughts about it? How do you work despite these problems?

P.S. Little late here, sorry if I've written something unreadable. Goodnight
everyone. :)