How to work with D?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 17:35:18 PST 2006

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz wrote:
> Upcoming D 1.0 should stabilize language for a moment, but I think nothing
> will realy change because of that. v1.0 is only name + point in time -
> everything will stay the same as it is. Walter will be keeping improving
> core language and we will be developing our little D projects . Little and
> personal because wider audience will never use them - it still will be too
> hard to get them compiled and working together.

v1.0 is more than name + point and time I would hope. What I think will
happen is that at least some, if not most or even all libraries will
stay compatible with the v1 switch and bugfixes will find their way in
v1 too, but not changes. Now that should stabilize the D 'platform' and
allow for less of these problems, isn't this exactly the reason for a
1.0 version?  (Besides marketing purposes)

I think that between bud/dsss and v1.0, D will be a very easy platform
to build for. I admit not doing any big stuff, but still I find building
and using libraries for D is *much* easier than what I was used to with
C++, especially if you use libraries made for different compilers (or
even versions of same compilers). Simply put, bud beats the crap out of
makefiles&co! Very lucky we have this tool.