How to work with D?

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 20:46:00 PST 2006

Dawid Ciężarkiewicz wrote:
> I'm linux user.  I wish to ask you how do you work with D conviniently. I
> mean:
>
> When working with C, C++ or Python, PHP everything is quite simple.
> Installing libraries is simple - they are old and stable. My package
> manager (ArchLinux) has almost everything for those
> long-time-ago-estabilished languages. And for real custom third parties
> there are always things like PHP's PEAR.

I'm a windows user, and I find it quite the opposite.
Working with C/C++/PHP never made sense to me. I always have to use some
IDE of some sort, along with automatic installers that put everything in
its _magical_ place to make everything work together _magically_. all
the libraries and the thousands of header files .. all the dependencies
.. oh my God!!

With D, there's no such thing. dmd is a command line tool. build (now
known as bud) takes care of compiling a project. No registery files. No
magic, things are simple and they just work. No library files needed,
because dmd is so fast that I'd rather use the library source directly.

> But working with D is much different. Even if I set up manually everything
> and get my project compiled and working - if I'd like to give my work to
> somebody he will lost much of his time to setup neccesary libraries again.
> Changes in the language makes last stable release of XYZ library
> uncompilable, while svn version of XYZ is not working because it's
> temporary broken. And that person have to be quite skilled to do everything
> that I've mentioned.

Being on windows, I just compile an .exe that can go to any other
windows machine.
However, working with linux .. I see what you mean.
But still though, you say:

 > that person have to be quite skilled to do everything
 > that I've mentioned.

Isn't that true of everything in linux?