Walter, hope you're doing ok.

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Fri Dec 22 22:32:29 PST 2006

Brad Roberts wrote:
> I haven't talked with Walter, but I do know that his area of town is still
> without power.  The estimates I saw were for wednesday or thursday to get
> the high power lines repaired.

I often went out jogging and would stop and yak with the powerline
repairmen. I learned a lot about how the high tension wires work that
way. I wouldn't want their job, though, those guys worked 17 hours on, 7
off, and they stay working till everyone is up. They said they'd be
working through New Year's.

Fun fact: I asked them what they did about idiot homeowners who plugged
generators into their home circuits, thus energizing the main power
lines and putting the linemens' lives at risk. The guy laughed and said
they clamped all the lines to ground before working on them, shorting
out those generators. Serve's 'em right!

Not so fun fact: Numerous people died because they either brought their
generator or charcoal grill inside. You'll poison yourself even running
the generator in the garage with the garage door wide open. It got so
bad that the newspaper ran front page headlines warning people about this.