Deprecate C style declerations?

Daniel Keep daniel.keep+lists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 00:50:59 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> Don Clugston wrote:
>>
>> I'd also add:
>> * some alternative to #line that doesn't waste the '#' symbol on such
>> a rarely-used feature.
>>

> I've always wondered if there's even anyone out there using this so
> called "feature"?
> Why would you want to alter the lexer's internal state of the current
> line number?
> Who even came up with the idea?
>
>> And there are probably a few more I've forgotten about.

I use it!

I'm currently working on a project that my supervisor wanted written in
literate style.  So I ported CWEB over to D, and it relies heavily on
the use of #line.  Basically, where code appears in the source document,
and where it appears in the generated code often have little
correlation, and without #line debugging would be next to impossible.

Remember, just because you don't use a feature and think it's ugly,
doesn't mean no one does.

Let me put it this way: if #line is removed, I have to go back to C
since I doubt my supervisor will let me use a language for which I'm
stuck using an old compiler for.  Hell, *I* wouldn't want to do that.

(As for C-style declarations, it means you can copy+paste a whole bunch
of C declarations into D source.  Yes they can be converted, but this is
as simple as it gets.  If it's no extra work for Walter, why remove it?)

	-- Daniel "you'll pry #line from my cold, dead hands"