How to work with D?

Lutger lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 07:34:24 PST 2006

Peter C. Chapin wrote:
> Lutger <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com> wrote in
> news:emcoci$3ep$1 at digitaldaemon.com:
>
>> v1.0 is more than name + point and time I would hope. What I think
>> will happen is that at least some, if not most or even all libraries
>> will stay compatible with the v1 switch and bugfixes will find their
>> way in v1 too, but not changes. Now that should stabilize the D
>> 'platform' and allow for less of these problems, isn't this exactly
>> the reason for a 1.0 version?
>
> I know v1.0 will make a difference to me. I've been watching D, but have
> been reluctant to spend much time working with it. I realize that a 1.0
> release is somewhat arbitrary but it does represent a fixed point in the
> language's development. Once 1.0 is ready I hope to start working with D
> "for real." I'm sure there are others in the same position.
>
> Peter

I recall at least two libraries, wxD and Arc, for which their authors
plan on making a corresponding release with D 1.0.

I think the idea that 1.0 is an arbitrary point is time is becoming
obsolete. That was perhaps the case when Walter posed the question: 'is
0.163 1.0?' or something like that a while back, but this time the
version number is a more rational mark:
- numerous important and code breaking features have been added with the
explicit intention that it would be good to have them before 1.0
- name mangling, abi changes, spec cleanup.
- a switch to compile for 1.0
There is nothing arbritray about these changes since they are at least
partly motivated by the coming 1.0 release. If the release gets delayed
a little (I expect so) that is another indicator that 1.0 is not arbitrary.

This means that 1.0 is more than just a snapshot in time, as it comes at
a time where D is quite comprehensive and it is reasonable to develop
with this fixed set of features. Soon D will not be a moving target anymore.