Patent: Whitespace in keywords

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 13:47:41 PST 2006

Sean Kelly wrote:
> Bob W wrote:
>> Just wondering how software patens like this one ...
>>
>> http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220060089942%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20060089942&RS=DN/20060089942
>>

>> .... might affect future development of languages like D - and
>> I am certainly not just referring to "whitespace in keywords".
>
> It's best not to research patents, as from what I understand, burden of
> proof is on the patent holder (though generally the winner is the side
> with the largest bank account).

Good point.
As far as I'm concerned, I have absolutely no respect for these kinds of
patents.

With that said, what's the implication of patents on
software/algorithms/ideas?!
Say someone patented an algorithm, and meanwhile I came up with a very
similar algorithm (very similar to the point that they are almost the
same) on my own and implemented it. So what? Can he sue me?