Patent: Whitespace in keywords

Daniel Keep daniel.keep+lists at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 15:50:28 PST 2006

Hasan Aljudy wrote:

> Sean Kelly wrote:
>
>> Bob W wrote:
>>
>>> Just wondering how software patens like this one ...
>>>
>>> http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PG01&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsrchnum.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=%2220060089942%22.PGNR.&OS=DN/20060089942&RS=DN/20060089942
>>>

>>> .... might affect future development of languages like D - and
>>> I am certainly not just referring to "whitespace in keywords".
>>

>> It's best not to research patents, as from what I understand, burden
>> of proof is on the patent holder (though generally the winner is the
>> side with the largest bank account).
>

> Good point.
> As far as I'm concerned, I have absolutely no respect for these kinds of
> patents.
>
> With that said, what's the implication of patents on
> software/algorithms/ideas?!
> Say someone patented an algorithm, and meanwhile I came up with a very
> similar algorithm (very similar to the point that they are almost the
> same) on my own and implemented it. So what? Can he sue me?

With patents, it seems that it doesn't matter *who* invented it, rather
it matters who managed to get to the patent office first wins.

My favourite example thus far, however, has to be the Aussie bloke who
patented crop rotation.  I think he also patented the wheel, and maybe
fire, too.  Yes, the patent system is *that bad*.

	-- Daniel