Patent: Whitespace in keywords

Hasan Aljudy hasan.aljudy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 03:02:16 PST 2006

Daniel Keep wrote:
> Hasan Aljudy wrote:
>>

>> Sean Kelly wrote:

>>> It's best not to research patents, as from what I understand, burden
>>> of proof is on the patent holder (though generally the winner is the
>>> side with the largest bank account).
>>

>> Good point.
>> As far as I'm concerned, I have absolutely no respect for these kinds
>> of patents.
>>
>> With that said, what's the implication of patents on
>> software/algorithms/ideas?!
>> Say someone patented an algorithm, and meanwhile I came up with a very
>> similar algorithm (very similar to the point that they are almost the
>> same) on my own and implemented it. So what? Can he sue me?
>
> With patents, it seems that it doesn't matter *who* invented it, rather
> it matters who managed to get to the patent office first wins.

Yeah, I've heard that Bell wasn't really the first guy who invented
telephones, he just managed to get the patent first!!!

> My favourite example thus far, however, has to be the Aussie bloke who
> patented crop rotation.  I think he also patented the wheel, and maybe
> fire, too.  Yes, the patent system is *that bad*.

Funny, someone should patent Chinese characters!! Oh wait, maybe someone
already did that? Then maybe someone should dig in some old Chinese
literature to find some old characters that haven't been patented yet!!

Don't forget patenting the idea of "making jokes about idea-patents".