lazy compilation of templated class members

Kirk McDonald kirklin.mcdonald at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 23:35:47 PST 2006

Bill Baxter wrote:
> I have a need to define methods in a templated class that only
> conditionally exist.  For instance with a 'class Foo(T)', I'd like to
> give it an opNeg method as long as T is a type that can be negated.
>
> So far so good, I can get that with:
>
> class Foo(T)
> {
>     static if(is(typeof(-T.init))) {
>     Foo neg() {
>        auto ret = new Foo;
>        ret.m_value = -m_value;
>        return ret;
>     }
>     }
>
>     T m_value;
> }
>
> 1)
> Is this something useful enough that it might be worth special syntax?
> Something like 'lazy' in front of the method declaration:
>
>     lazy Foo neg() {
>        auto ret = new Foo;
>        ret.m_value = -m_value;
>        return ret;
>     }
>
> The lazy meaning basically "leave this method out if it contains
> semantic errors".
>
> 2)
> I can't figure out how to do the static if for opXXXAssign type methods.
> static if(is(typeof(T.init+=T.init))) is always false, I guess because
> T.init isn't assignable.  Is there some way to do that check?
>

> --bb

Pyd's automatic wrapping of operator overloads uses this trick. In that
case, I know the type in question is always a struct or class, and so I
check for the existence of the operator overload method directly:

static if (is(typeof(T.opAddAssign)))

This wouldn't work for the built-in types, but, on the other hand, the
set of built-in types is finite, and you could fairly easily check for
those some other way.

--
Kirk McDonald
Pyd: Wrapping Python with D