Coolest D features

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Dec 27 04:51:28 PST 2006

> Say you wanted to introduce a programmer friend to D. She might know one
> of D's sibling languages (Java, C, C++, or C#), but you shouldn't rely
> too much on that. What features of D would you describe first to hook
> that friend in?
>
> Andrei

I might ask her out for dinner, so that I could describe many of D's
cool features. ^^

Seriously now, to hook a friend in, it would depend on the friend: its
background, the languages the friend knows and likes, etc. . What I can
say is that what has drawn me to D in the first place was that D is a
speed language without the obnoxiously obsolete C++ crap: structured
module system instead of #includes&headers files, no need for function
prototypes before use, methods are defined inside the aggregates, basic
types with well defined sizes (no more SDL's UInt8, UInt16, etc., or
OpenGL's GLint, GLfloat, etc.), uniform declarations (like the non-C
array declaration syntax, or struct declaration in the same namespace as
everything else), overall cleaner syntax, etc. . The advanced features
(dyn-arrays, GC, D's templates,etc.) are also very nice, but for me the
most important was really getting the basics right.

--
Bruno Medeiros - MSc in CS/E student