Coolest D features

Georg Wrede georg.wrede at nospam.org
Wed Dec 27 07:17:50 PST 2006

Waldemar wrote:
> Actually, the reality is Java is plenty slow in many applications.
> There is JNI for a reason.  Never mind cases where Java is not even
> considered (fast servers, OS internals, communication, graphics,
> driveres, embedded, etc, etc.)  As soon as Java reaches C/C++ speed,
> C++ will disappear.  Not too worry, won't happen any time soon.

If a Java program has to do the same work as "the same" program in C++,
and _additionally_ run a VM, do JIT compiling -- I can't see how it's
even theoretically possible to "reach C/C++ speed".

Oh well, I guess it's everybody's constitutional right to claim to
become one day "as fast" as C/C++. I've heard that claim ever since many
here weren't even born.

> Having said that, there is always a danger that Sun develops "low
> level Java" with performance truly matching C++.   If that happens D
> might as well close the shop. Same thing with C#.

This is one of the places D should claim and occupy, Java on steroids or
not. In other words, what would Java do if D's libraries and tools
suddenly got equal to Java's?