floating point - nan initializers

Walter Bright newshound at digitalmars.com
Sun Feb 19 11:06:24 PST 2006

"Ivan Senji" <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ at _THIS__gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtadui$2pt4$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> The policy of D is: initialize things to error states if possible. That
> unfortunatelly is imposible for int's but is for floats and chars.

That's right. The default initialization is *not* about being convenient or
a shorthand. It's about being an aid to writing bug free code.

If there was a nan value for ints, that would be the default initialization
for that, too. I'd love it if you could set a bit for a memory address that
is cleared when the address is written to, and generates a hardware fault if
it is read with that bit set. But there is no such thing, and nan is the
best we can do otherwise.