[again] opSliceAssign

Jarrett Billingsley kb3ctd2 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 06:28:13 PST 2006

"Ivan Senji" <ivan.senji_REMOVE_ at _THIS__gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtc6jm$1fhm$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
>I forgot why there isn't one yet? It's no more than a days work for Walter
>probably. :)

I don't think he's ever actually commented on the issue.  But the general
consensus was that it's supposedly unclear whether the statement

a[0 .. 10] = 5;

Means "Get a slice of a, and assign 5 to all the elements in the returned
array" or "call opSliceAssign with the range 0..10 and the value 5."  My
thought is that the compiler can already figure out that

a[3] = 5;

Means "use opIndexAssign;" I don't know why opSliceAssign would be any
different.  Maybe it's somehow incompatible with array operations
(vectorization).