Get rid of byte? [OT] alii

John C johnch_atms at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 20 14:41:29 PST 2006

"James Dunne" <james.jdunne at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:dtdehf$2pu7$1 at digitaldaemon.com...
> Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
>> "Walter Bright" <newshound at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> news:dt7mur$2hvs$2 at digitaldaemon.com...
>>
>>>"Bruno Medeiros" <daiphoenixNO at SPAMlycos.com> wrote in message
>>>news:dt705s$1vkh$1 at digitaldaemon.com...

>>>import std.stdint;
>>

>> Could the _t suffix at least be taken off those aliases (alii?) ?  int8_t
>> has got to be one of the ugliest things I've seen since CLK_TCK.
>
> FYI, the -i plural suffix only applies to words that end in 'us', not 'as'
> or other variants.
>
> cactus       -> cacti
> genius       -> genii
> hippopotamus -> hippopotami
>
> Apparently, 'bus' is the exception to the rule.  "Hey look at all those
> bi!"

Call me a pedant (it wouldn't be the first time), but 'bus' is just one of
many exceptions.

corpus        corpora
viscus         viscera
platypus      platypuses
opus           opera
virus           viruses (although see "Use of the virii form" at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viruses)

Bus, of course, is short for omnibus, which in Latin was a plural anyway.