mailing list vs news group

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 20 17:30:28 PST 2006

On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Georg Wrede wrote:

> Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 02:46:19 +0200
> From: Georg Wrede <georg.wrede at nospam.org>
> To: digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
> Newsgroups: digitalmars.D
>
> braddr at puremagic.com wrote:
> > Walter and I were talking earlier today and one of the topics that
> > came up was newsgroup vs mailing list.  The good news is that it
> > doesn't have to be one vs the other, but rather a gateway between the
> > two.
> >
> > The question:  Who would use the mailing list if it existed.
> >
> > Follow-up question: if the list was read-only (ie, a one way
> > gateway), would you still use it?
> >
> > For myself, I'd prefer to receive mail rather than read via the web
> > or a news reader, but I know I'm an odd duck at times.
> >
> > A show of hands.. want to be able to get each of the newsgroups via
> > mail?
>
> This could be implemented with a small Perl cron script on any machine
> outside digitalmars.com. Anybody with telnet access to an account could
> do this for the community in no time.
>
> As to whether it really is worth the effort, at least I wouldn't
> subscribe. Mozilla as a newsreader is good enough.
>
> Besides, I frequently switch between threaded, order-received,
> sorted-by-author, and various filtered views. Piece of cake.
> And I mark posts read or unread, and with various colors so I can reread
> them later if they are too long, or need background research before
> commenting on.

I'm well aware that it can be done by anyone.  I was fishing for who was
interested in having such a service.  Since it's more than just me, though
not a lot of hands were raised, I've gone ahead and setup several of the
newsgroups as mailing lists.

At the moment, they're news -> mail only.  At the toggle of a radio button
I can make them two way, but I figured one step at a time.  These have
been active since saturday, so there's a bit of mail in the archives
already.  Each of the lists can be received as digests for those that want
it.

Walter, feel free to put a link on your site if you want.

Anyone, if you want any of the other groups hosted at
news.digitalmars.com, just let me know.

Later,
Brad